I have very dry hair and semi-thick hair. I’m Latina, and main stream marketed shampoos don’t always suit my hair profile. My mom has a very different hair profile than me where she gets relaxers etc. She didn’t always know how to help me. So I was left to fend for myself. It has been a journey people!
If I wash daily I’ll be out there looking like a scarecrow. My ends have actually broken off from over washing. This was during a time before I found a great stylist that taught me to only shampoo my roots and condition my ends. I know common sense, but I was an 18 year old baby before this news was broken to me. I still was washing daily.
Then came Mila into my life not much after. She has a very similar hair texture and introduced dry shampoo to me. This was back in the day before it was in drug stores, and you could only find it at Sephora. However this was a game freaking changer. Goodbye dry hair ,and hello 2x a week washes.
Here we are in 2018 and I have been on the wash 2xs a week and dry shampoo cycle for 10 years. However, I noticed the dry shampoo hasn’t cut it as much, and my hair has been getting very oily. I was starting to wash everyday which can be exhausting. I have to blow my hair out to look some what decent. My cousin Lydia was running into this issue too. She tried the Bumble and Bumble product below and highly suggested it. She has some of the most beautiful hair you will ever see. She swore it would solve my problem, and because she looks a mermaid I listened. However, I couldn’t get over the price.
There is hope! I found a serious dupe and have reviews below.
Option 1: High-End Retailer
Average Rating 4.2/5 with 37 reviews on Ulta
$38 for 3.5 oz
This was recommended to my by my cousin who was having similar scalp issues. She swore by it and said it was worth every penny. So I ordered it then and there. I was interested in the ingredients which contain micellar water and Salicylic acid which are both used to keep pores clear. When I applied it came out as a mousse that was very cold. It tingled on the top of my head as it sat for the suggested 3 minutes. I rinsed as it instructed with my usual shampoo. I was very happy with the results, but could not justify the price. I then tried the natural remedy of apple cider vinegar, baking soda, and lemon. It worked but left my hair dry an frizzy. The next alternative I tried was adding tea tree oil to my shampoo. This kind of worked. Then I tried the Paul Mitchell Three shampoo, but it failed. I didn’t think I would find an affordable dupe, but keep reading because alas I did!
Here is how it is described on the Bumble and Bumble website:
What it is:
This invigorating scalp refresh instantly removes product buildup, oil, and impurities.
Benefits: scalp care
How it works:
Micellar water helps to gently cleanse the scalp, Panthenol helps prevent over-drying, and Salicylic acid helps remove pore-clogging debris and dead skin cells. Plus, it feels ahhh-some, thanks to a zillion zingy micro-bubbles.
Who It’s For:
• Texture: all
• Type: all scalp types, all hair types
How to Use:
So after all of that info, here are my honest thoughts:
1. This is a product with a pretty clean ingredient list. I like that and that is something that is important to me. Phylates, parabens, etc are a big no for me.
2. It works!
3. It has a great fragrance and I enjoyed the cool tingling on my scalp.
4. Bumble and Bumble is a completely cruelty-free company. You will never have to worry about animal testing.
1. The price for how much product. This lasted me 1 month. So this is a $40 a month commitment. I just felt like for the results it was not worth it.
2. The results do not last for the entire week as claimed. After 4 days I saw serious build up occur again.
3. After using this foam, you have to wash with regular shampoo. I wanted something that was a one and done.
Option 2: Drug Store Edition
Average rating 4.9/5 with 405 reviews at Target
$5 for 4 fl oz
I actually purchased this at a Rite Aid by my home on a whim. I had been looking for a proper dupe to the B&B and hadn’t found one. I pretty much stopped looking and ended my search. That is until I came across this. I listed it from target because it is a few dollars cheaper there. I thought why not give this $5 shampoo a go, not expecting much. To my surprise, I was so blown away by the results!
Here is how it is described on Target’s Website:
- 6 fl. oz bottle of Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo to help remove hair build-up and residue
- Instantly removes up to 90% of dulling residue caused by shampoos, conditioners & styling products
- Revitalizing shampoo also works to boost hair volume by gently removing heavy build-up
- Use our anti-residue shampoo only once a week to see your favorite daily shampoo work even better
- Clarifying shampoo features a gentle and mild formula that is recommended for all hair types